My Guide Website?
Barcelona: Civil War and Franco's Dictatorship History Tour7 Reviews
Discover the unspoken history of Spain on this history walking tour about the Spanish Civil War. See the streets, neighborhoods and scars of where political ideologies fought for the future of Spain
- Discover the darker 'secret history' of Spain in the streets of Barcelona
- Fascists, Loyalists, Anarchist: make sense of all the battling factions,
- See places George Orwell mentions in his book Homage to Catalonia
- Go beyond the typical tourist 'facade' of Barcelona's historic attractions
DescriptionWe'll untangle the often overlooked history of the Spanish Civil War and the 36 year dictatorship that followed it while walking through the streets of the old town where much of the fighting and fascist bombings happened. Your expert guide will explain the history of what lead to the outbreak of a war that divided a country and lead to a military dictatorship that ended less than 50 years ago. Come to understand the many different political factions and ideologies that fought for what they believed was the future of Spain. • What was the role of Hitler and Mussolini? • Who were the International Brigades? • How did the Western Allies respond to the war and to Franco's dictatorship? • What was the role of the catholic church? • How does Spain deal with this period of history now? We'll bring the complicated history to life with pictures and clear storytelling. Since there are virtually no official museums or memorials, this tour is the perfect way to learn about the Spanish Civil War. The tour will finish after about 2.5h in the middle of the Gothic Quarter, by Barcelona city hall. Join us on this 2.5h walking tour where we will make sense of this often overlooked part of world history!
IncludesProfessional Tour Guide
- This tour will take place rain or shine
- Not advised for children due to the subjects politics, war and dictatorship. They are allowed to join, however.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
Reserve Your ExperienceFrom€25.00Book Now Reserve now & pay later to book your spot and pay nothing today