My Guide Website?
Montserrat & Cava Wineries Day Trip from Barcelona w/ Pickup39 Reviews
Follow in the footsteps of pilgrims on a day trip from Barcelona to the sanctuary of Santa Maria de Montserrat and see the "Holy Grotto" shrine before visiting an old, family-run cava winery.
- Experience the mystical landscape of Montserrat National Park
- See the icon of the 'Black Madonna' at the 'Holy Grotto'
- Benefit from the chance to listen to one of Europe's oldest children's choirs
- Descend into atmospheric wine cellars and taste 3 cavas paired with tapas
- Learn how cava is produced according to traditional methods
- Tour in a small group of 8 guests with hotel pickup and drop-off included
DescriptionDiscover the beauty of Mount Montserrat and visit the Montserrat Monastery on this day trip in an airconditioned van from Barcelona. Head to Santa Cova and have the chance to hear the Montserrat’s Boys’ Choir. Savor wine and tapas at an ancient winery in Sant Sadurní d'Anoi. Depart Barcelona and drive towards the Catalan Pre-Coastal Range for a morning visit to the Benedictine abbey of Santa Maria de Montserrat, world-renowned for its shrine to the Virgin of Montserrat, also known as the 'Black Madonna.' Marvel at the monastery and its surrounding scenery on a curious-shaped rock that rises 2,380 feet above sea level. Enter the monastery to see its Romanesque icon of the 'Black Madonna' which is thought to date back to the 12th century. Get unparalleled views of the magical landscape, declared a national park in 1987. Head to the Santa Cova ('Holy Grotto') where, according to legend, the virgin appeared before some shepherd children in a vision. Benefit from the chance to hear the angelic voices of La Escolania de Montserrat (Montserrat’s Boys’ Choir ), one of the oldest children's choirs in Europe (subject to seasonal availability). Head to Sant Sadurní d'Anoia in the heart of Catalonia's cava wine producing region and visit a premium cava winery, where the tradition of making sparkling wines date back almost 5 centuries. Visit the cellar and descend to the dungeons where the wine is stored for several years. Learn about wine production and vineyard maintenance. Taste 3 varieties of local wines and cavas paired with traditional cheeses and cold meats. Gaze out at views of the Catalan countryside with Mount Montserrat in the background. Hear about the process of producing cava at a family business that first produced it according to traditional methods in 1872, and by using grapes from the Penedès region. Return to your meeting point in Barcelona at the conclusion of your tour.
IncludesHotel pickup and drop-off in a private air-conditioned minivan between 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM Guide Small-group tour with up to 8 guests Walking tour of Montserrat National Park Visit to Montserrat Monastery Montserrat’s Boys’ Choir (if available) Visit to a family run Premium Cava cellar of 1385
- This is a small group tour
- Please check your email inbox for the specific pick-up time
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please let the local partner know your children’s age to arrange the proper child seat (if applicable), and your pickup address