My Guide Website?
Barcelona: Montserrat Tour, Monastery & Optional Wine/Lunch915 Reviews
Board a cogwheel train, visit a historic monastery on the Montserrat mountain range, and admire some incredible views. Choose from a half-day tour or upgrade to a full-day trip.
- Travel through to the breathtaking multi-peaked mountain range of Montserrat
- Admire scenic views from the cogwheel train up the mountain-side monastery
- Learn about the rich history of the Montserrat Abbey on a small-group walking tour
- Discover the site’s hidden gems and beautiful landscapes during your free exploration time
- Upgrade to a full-day tour option and enjoy wine tastings and lunch at a picturesque winery
DescriptionExperience an unforgettable guided group tour to Montserrat, Catalonia's most famous mountain range. Take in the beauty of its natural rolling landscape and discover the history and traditions of its medieval monastery. After your bus journey from Barcelona, board the cogwheel train up to the monastery and admire the beautiful nature and iconic multi-peaked mountain range of Montserrat. Once at the monastery, your guide will take you on a walking tour of the historical center of the complex. Learn about the rich history of the Santa Maria de Montserrat Abbey, an 11th-century monastery that still functions to this day, with over 70 monks. Entry to the monastery is included in the tour price. Use the allotted free time to wander freely and visit the famous Black Madonna and see paintings by Picasso, El Greco, and Dali at the Montserrat Museum. During your free time, you can also ride the funicular train up the side of the mountain to get even better viewpoints of the monastery. Travelers who booked the half-day tour option will return to Barcelona after the visit to Montserrat. If you chose a full-day tour option, you'll continue toward a beautiful boutique winery. Arrive at the winery and, depending on the food option you booked, enjoy a light tapas or multi-course lunch. Admire amazing views of the winery and Montserrat mountains as you feast on traditional foods of the region. After your meal, wander around the vineyards, learn about the wine-making process, and enjoy a wine tasting session, before traveling back to Barcelona.
IncludesCogwheel train ticket English-speaking guide Small-group walking tour (18 people maximum) 1.5 hours of free time at Montserrat Entry to the Basilica of Montserrat Air-conditioned bus Tasting of 3 local wines (if one of the full-day options is selected) Tapas lunch (if 7-hour option selected) Multi-course lunch (if 9-hour option selected)
- The driving portion of the tour will be in a bus with maximum 60 people, but the guided walking tours will be in groups of maximum 18 people
- For options including food, this tour caters to all dietary allergies or restrictions and there is no need to warn the tour operator beforehand
- Infants aged 3 or under may join the tour free of charge, but please note that baby seats are not provided
- Please note that you might need to queue to see the Black Madonna. Your guide will inform you about the estimated waiting time on the day of your visit
- If you have reduced mobility requirements, contact the tour operator after you make your booking
- Temperatures in Montserrat and the winery tend to be more extreme than in Barcelona. Please check the weather forecast the day before and dress accordingly
- On Sundays in May, September, and October the Basilica will be closed so entry will not be possible